First page Previous Next Last page Index Image
1978 : Kohnfelder "Towards a Practical Public-key Cryptosystem"
- In the Diffie-Hellman model, public key distribution must be conducted in an authenticated manner
- Introduction of the certificate concept
Definition of a certificate
- Data structure which associates a name to a public key by means of a signature (i.e. it carries its own authentication)
- X.509v3 with PKIX profile
- Certificates are tagged as suitable for one or more uses (encryption, signature, key exchange, certificate generation)
- A certificate contains only one key, which can be RSA, DSS
512 bits, 1024 bits...